Did You Know...
- Aesop is believed to have been born about 620 B.C.?
- No one is certain that Aesop ever really existed? There are many conflicting stories about his life, none of which have ever been substantiated.
- No writings by him survive?
- Some stories of his life say he was a Greek slave who was extremely ugly? In these versions, he was a hunchback.
- Still other stories say he was an Ethiopian?
- There are over 200 fables attributed to Aesop?
- Socrates converted some of Aesop's fables to verse when he was in prison?
- The fables have been changed and adapted so much that they are very different from the original versions?
- It is believed that Aesop died in Delphi? Supposedly, he was on a diplomatic mission there, and insulted them. They sentenced him to death, and threw him off a cliff.
Now, here's a clip from the Merrie Melodies version of The Tortoise and the Hare called Tortoise Beats Hare, starring Bugs Bunny. I love these cartoons!