- Dickens published the book at his own expense? High production costs made for disappointing profits in the first year of its release, although it sold well.
- The book has been made into a film at least 28 times?
- Dickens conducted public readings of the book? From 1853 until 1870 he read it 127 times.
- Before Carol's publication, Christmas was generally a more somber and serious occasion?
- Charles Dickens worked in a factory as a child while his father was in debtor's prison?
- He published most of his novels in weekly installments? This gave him a chance to judge the public's reaction and make changes to the story.
- Dickens worked as a reporter for four years, covering legal proceedings?
- Dickens wrote 15 novels and hundreds of short stories? He was generally thought to be the greatest writer of his day.
- He frequently incorporated autobiographical elements in his novels?
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Did You Know? A Christmas Carol
Earlier this week we spoke with Ebenezer Scrooge. I thought it might be fun to see what kind of interesting facts I could dig up about A Christmas Carol and its author, Charles Dickens. Check out these facts: