Did You Know...
- Pinocchio was written by Italian author Carlo Collodi?
- It was released in serial form between 1881 & 1882, then published as a children's book in 1883?
- The story is set in the Tuscan region of Italy?
- In the story, Pinocchio starts out as a talking block of wood?
- In the original story, Pinocchio is hanged? Collodi later added to the story. The Fairy with Turquoise Hair rescues him and turns him into a real boy.
- Pinocchio actually kills the talking cricket in the original story? He accidentally kills him with a hammer. The cricket returns later to rebuke Pinocchio about his behavior.
- The story was translated into English in 1892, two years after Collodi's death?
- Geppetto is a nickname for Giuseppe?
- Over 14 films have been made based on the story?
Here's a bit from one of those films, Disney's 1940 version: